Exploring inner conflict (P1)
1.What TV series is this article about?
2. Have you seen or heard of this TV series? What do you know about it?
Read the article quickly and answer the question.
•What is the main idea of the article?
•The features of the TV series In the Name of People, and opinions and experience of Zhou Meisen, the writer of the novel of the same name.
Read the article carefully and answer the following questions.
•1. What is the TV series In the Name of People about? How has it been received by the audience?
•It is a political-themed series mostly based on real corruption cases, or in short, about anti-corruption.
•It attracts both older and younger audiences.
•2. What are the features of the series?
•It is mostly based on real cases.
•It describes a deputy state-level official as a villain.
•The novel not only shows the complexity and difficulty of the battle against corruption but also explores what makes a politician’s soul twisted.
•3. According to Zhou Meisen, what are the reasons for the officials’ corruption?
•Weakness of character;
•the temptations present in an official career;
•traps set by other people;
•the real reason: the development of human greed, with the power not being supervised properly.
•4. What did Zhou do to help his novel become better? How did this experience help him?
•He took a one-year job as a deputy secretary general in the city government of Xuzhou, Jiangsu, in 1994.
①This job made him realize that power is something that one can easily become addicted to.
②It also enabled Zhou to describe his characters with more detail.
IV. Language study (1)
Find the sentences that have similar meanings to the following sentences.
1. In the Name of People is different from other political-themed stories, and it attracts both older and younger audiences.
•Different from other political-themed stories, In the Name of People attracts both older and younger audiences.
•Note: “Different from other political-themed stories”是形容词短语作状语。
•E.g., Unlike many female characters of her time, Anne had a sharp intelligence.
2. For example, the drama is built around a corruption case. The case was brought to light by conflicts at a factory in a fictional province.
• For example, the drama is built around a corruption case brought to light by conflicts at a factory in a fictional province.
•过去分词短语brought to light …作后置定语。
IV. Language study (2)
Translate the sentences. Pay attention to the sentence structures.
1.The novel not only shows the complexity and difficulty of the battle against corruption. Rather, Zhou makes a deep inquiry into what makes a politician’s soul twisted.
•What makes a politician’s…是宾语从句，由于从句中缺主语，因此用what来引导。
•rather: 用在这里有递进的含义，此句可以用“not only … but also”的结构改写。
2.But actually, the real reason is the development of human greed, with the power not being supervised properly.
•with the power…是with引导的独立结构。宾语power与supervise是被动关系，且此处描述的是没有被监管的状态/现状，因此用进行时较好。
•greed：the desire to have more of something, such as food or money, than is necessary.
3.I had no idea of what privilege was like until I became a deputy secretary general in the city government
4. This job made him realize that power is something that one can easily become addicted to.
•be addicted to 对…上瘾/着迷
5. But it was also this experience that enabled Zhou to describe his characters with more detail.
•What sentence pattern is this?
V. Learn to use
Translate the sentences with a proper word, phrase or sentence structure in the article.
•The crime was committed in the name of religion.
•He became addicted to computer games.
•The facts have only just been brought to light.
•The show will be aired next Tuesday night.
•The story is built around a group of high school dropouts.
•It is through him that she finally got the answers.
•Brave and smart, she shows perseverance, honesty and courage.
1. What do you think of corruption, and corrupt officials?
2. Do you have any suggestions on how to tackle corruption?
•The general public?
Santiago treats dogs with love and respect (P4-5)
I. Warming up
Is it common to see dogs in your neighborhood?
What kind of life do the dogs live?
Skim the article quickly, divide it into three parts and work out the main idea of each part.
Part 1 (Para.1- 4 )
The stray dogs and their present situation in Chile.
Part 2 (Para. 5 )
Some people’s attitude towards the situation.
Part 3 (Para.6) The future of the dogs is uncertain.
Scanning Answer the following questions.
1.What is a stray dog?
It is a dog with no home, who lives on the streets.
2. What did the author think of the stray dogs at first? What did she find out later?
At first the author thought they might be aggressive or unfriendly. But later, she found that the stray dogs there are passive, quiet and friendly.
3. How are the stray dogs treated by the local people? Can you give some examples?
The dogs are accepted and welcomed in Chile. They are often given food and water by the public.
Some people even make jackets for the dogs or put out beds or kennels for them to sleep in.
Read paragraph 5 carefully and fill in the table.
True or False.
1.I usually lose my way while walking around the streets in a new city.
第一段 get lost in the city 是沉浸于其中的意思。 陷入沉思: be lost in thought
陶醉于书中: be lost in a book
2. The stray dogs in Chile are quiet and friendly.
3. The stray dogs lead an easy life in Chile.
4. There are more stray dogs than people in Chile.
5. There hasn’t been any plan for the future of stray dogs.
Do you think that people should take action to control the population of stray dogs? Do you have any suggestions to help this problem?
Inspired by Educators (P6)
I. Warming up
How would you describe your teachers?
Among the teachers who have taught you, who do you remember the most? Why?
Read the article and answer the following questions.
1. Who does the author model herself on as an educator?
2. Does the author think that college teachers are the same as primary and secondary school teachers?
No. She seldom saw them.
Read the article, and divide it into different parts, then give the main idea of each part.
Part 1 (Para. 1): A lead-in to the topic.
Part 2 (Para. 2-5): My model as a teacher - Mrs Pruitt.
Part 3 (Para. 6-7): My high school teacher Willa Garnick.
Part 4 (Para. 8-10): My helpful college teachers.
Part 5 (Para. 11): Conclusion - the memories of being taught stay with us forever.
Read the article again, and answer the following questions.
1. What kind of teacher was Mrs Pruitt?
She was the most welcoming, most generous and most creative teacher.
2. What did Willa Garnick offer the author?
She offered intelligent and useful sympathy and gave practical advice to the author.
3. Who helped the author a lot in college? What did the author learn from them?
Her female teachers. The author learned not to admire the leaders in a discussion too much, because everyone can be the leader if they want to.
Paraphrase the following sentences. Pay attention to the underlined parts.
1. I think I was six years old when she told me that, but no other words I’ve heard since have stayed in my heart longer.
I was only six years old when she said that she wanted a daughter like me, but I have remembered it so well till today because it was so touching. I have never heard any words as sweet as those since.
2. I wouldn’t have believed this if she hadn’t shown the truth of it through her own actions.
Mrs Garnick’s love and care made me believe that speaking to adults can relieve my sorrow, and she was the one who helped to make me feel better.
3. Many of my college teachers were worth seeking out.
My college teachers were hard to find, but they always gave good advice when I had trouble.
Do you agree with the author’s opinion that “What you remember about your teachers might have little connection to the lessons they’d planned”? Why or why not?
Talk to your partner about one of your teachers. Tell a story about something that happened between you, then share it in class.
Thank you letter
Write a thank you letter to the teacher who you just talked about to your classmates, expressing your gratitude. Tell him/her what you learned from them and how they have inspired you.
主办单位：中国日报社 Copyright www.i21st.cn All Rights Reserved 版权所有 复制必究